Clip from Disney's Mulan

Friday, May 4, 2007

Mulan (play)

Characters
MULAN: a young maiden who joins the army in man’s disguise and becomes a hero
XIAOHUAN: a maid in the Hua household
HUA HU: Mulan’s father
NEE JIA: Mulan’s mother
MUNAN: Mulan’s sister
YAO’ER: Mulan’s brotehr
XIN PING: the commanding general
MR. WANG: the young official to whom Mulan is married in the end
TWO SOLDIERS who go to battle together with Mulan
OFFICERS and SOLDIERS in the army

Act 1
[Enter Mulan]

MULAN: I am Huan Mulan. I an from a respectable family that has been residing in Wei County north of the Yellow River since the Western Han dynasty. My father’s name is Hu, and he is style named Sangzhi. Well versed in both classic literature and martial arts, he was once and army officer in chare of a thousand soldiers. He married my mother nee Hia, who gave birth to me. Now I am seventeen years old. Though I have a sister Munan and a younger brother Yao’er, they are not of age yet. News cam yesterday that a bandit chieftain from the Black Mountain, Called Leopard’s Skin, Has gathered about a hundred thousand rebels and proclaimed himself king. The Tuoba Khan of our great Wei Empire has given command for conscription. Drafting orders have arrived one after another , twelve in all, and none without my father’s name. But my father is getting old, and he doesn’t have a grown-up son. When I was a child, I was physically strong and pretty clever, too. I used to study both classic Literature and martial arts with my father. Now is the time for me to repay him. I once read about Qin Xiu and Tiying’s sacrifices for their fathers, one willing to lose her life, the other willing to become a slave. Aren’t they girls wearing blouses and skirts? Byt before I can enlist in my father’s name, there’s something I must do first. I need a horse, bow and arrows, a spear, and a sword, and man’s outfit too. I should also practice my martial arts a little bit. Then I shall inform my parents of my decision. Since my father knows we have no other choicem he probably won’t try too hard to stop me from going. Xiaohuan, Come with me to the market place, but don’t let the master and mistress know.

[She pantomimes buying things and goes off stage] [Reenter followed by the maid carrying weapons, clothes, shoes, etc.]

XIAOHUAN: Miss, where shall I tie the horse?

MULAN: Take it to the Wang’s house next door for the time being.
[sings]
Qin Xiu jeopardized her life,
And Tiying risked her freedom.
Both were delicate girls
Who performed heroic deeds.
Why do I have to be a man
To serve my father’s needs?
The army roster cam in twelve rolls
And my father’s name was in them all.
Now he is worn with age
And weakened by illness.
When he was a young man,
He could chase a flying eagle
With his piercing arrow,
But all he can do now,
Is leaning against the fence
And counting the wild geese,
Raising chickens and feeding dogs,
Gaurding his home and planting his fields.
His hands are too weak to train eagles,
His body too stiff to chase hares.
He finds pleasure in rearing his daughters
And watching us comb our hair.
Seeing us dress up at the mirror,
He is all smiles.
Hearing the sound of a sword fight,
He knits his eyebrows.
He often sighs and says:
I am already near my grave,
And my daughters are not yet betrothed.[Speaks]

Before I practice martial arts, I must first unbind my feet and put on new shoes.
[She changes her shoes and show pain while doing so]
With great difficulty,
I took off the heavy stockings.
It took me many years
To bind my feet into a pointed shape,
Like the heads of phoenixes.
But now, in a rush, I must set them free,
Like boats flowing on the streams.
So that they can be big enough
For my new shoes. [Speaks]

I have to get married when I come back. What shall I do then? Well, there's no need to worry. My family has a special herbal recipe for foot-binding. I only have to boil the herbs and soak my feet. They will become even smaller than now. [sings]

In no time at all,
After I boil the herb as white as snow,
My feet will return
To the shape of lotus petal.[Speaks]

Now I can almost stand firm in those shoes, let me put on the clothes.
[She puts on men's clothes and an army cap.][Sings]

Fully equipped with army apparel,
I become an officer, going to battle.
I can disguise myself perfectly,
While in the saddle.
I'll hang my sword
On my tightened belt.
My soft armor
Can also keep me warm;
I can give it to my brother
When I return home. [Speaks]

Now that I have changed my clothes and shoes, I'll practice my sword skills. [Sings while performing a sword dance]

Not having touched the sword for long,
I thought I'd lost the skill.
But holding it in my hands,
I found it an old friend still.
My hands were shaking,
Though they are used to weaving.
Crossing sword with a whit ape
Was the girl of Yue,
Now the gil who will fight for her father,
Can wield her sword, like a white chain
Surrounding her red skirt.[Speaks]

Bow that I have practiced the sword, I'll try the spear. [Sings while performing a spear dance]

The point of the spear is sharply forged,
With the bright shaft perfectly matched.
This is a better spear
Than any other of the kind.
When I an more used to walking
On my unbound feet,
I'll march straight to the Black Mountain
And punch off its peak.[Speaks]

I cannot shoot the arrow here, but I can draq the bow. I can wonder whither I'm still as good at it as I used to be and my arms are still as strong.[Sings while drawing the bow]

The bow is thin,
And the arch is full.
With one touch of the hand
The yellow snake will stop its move.
With one feathered arrow
The vulture will lose.
With one stretch of the arm
THe white ape cannot oppose.
Only when the hero sings and marches into the pass,
The power of the Tianshan Arrow will itself expose. [Speaks]

As for horse riding, I am still at home in the sddle. But I'll practice how to mount without using my hands. [Sings while pantomiming getting on a horse]

A riding jacket colored by embroidery
A horse whip ornamented with coral,
These are not suitable
For a soldier's apparel.
Bound by a bridle and saddle,
My horse will gallop
To win glory in the battle.
To catch a monkey in the mountain
As its companion in the stable,
And to smash the fox's lair
When I pull its bridle.
I am a girl of beauty
Inside the household portal
But who says I'm not a hero
Once I'm in the saddle? [Speaks]

Now I'm all prepared. I'll call my parents out and tell then about my plan. [Call toward the back stage]

[Enter Mulan's father, mother, sister, and brother, all showing surprise at seeing her]

MOTHER: My daughter, why do you dress yourself like this today? You have even unbound your feet. How strange! How strange!

MULAN: Mother, my father is supposed to enlist. Why isn't he going?

MOTHER: He is too old to go.

MULAN: Then, my sister and brother. Can they enlist?

MOTHER: Are you crazy? They are still kids. How can they go?

MULAN: In this case, no one is going?

MOTHER: I'm afraid there is nothing we can do. Your father is so worried that he almost wants to hang himself.

MULAN: Look at you child now. Am I fit to go?

MOTHER: I know you are capale. Of course, you are fit to go. [weeps] But how can your father and I bear to part with you? Also, You are a girl. You'll have to travel thousands of miles away and be in men's company all the time. You'll have to eat together with them and sleep n the same place. How can you be sure that you won't show your true color and disgrace yourself?

MULAN: Don't worry, mother. I'll bring a daughter back to you clean and untouched. [The whole family weeps while holding each other.]

[Enter two soldiers]

SOLDIERS: Is this the Hua's household?

FATHER: Why are you asking?

SOLDIERS: We are going to the battlefront. The enlisting officer says that there is a Hua Hu living in this area. We are asked to hurry him up so that we can start off together.

MULAN: Brothers, please wait for a while. I'll leave with you after I get my things together. Xiaohuan, bring my horse over.

[Mulan packs her things and the others watch her]

MOTHER: Nice horse and good weapons! You'll be all right and come back with glory. Do remember to write to us often. Don't keep you parents worried about you all the time. I was about to prepare a glass of wine for you, but you are in such a hurry. I have asked Xiaohuan to buy some steamed buns for you, so you have something to eat on the road. I have also put some needle and thread in you bag in case you need them for your armor or uniform.

SOLDIERS [Shout]: Please hurry up!

[Exeunt Mulan's family weeping]

MULAN: I'm sorry to have kept you waiting, brothers. Let's get on our horses and move fast. [Pantomimes mounting a horse]

SOLDIERS [between themselves]: This Hua HU is a handsome fellow. He doesn't look like an officer, but a feast for the eye. Later we can use him for emergency.

MULAN [Sings]:
We are not far from home yet;
The yellow Rivr can still be heard.
The horse lewers its head
To point to the distant reeds
And the wild geese.
Suddenly, on my armor fall snow flakes;
The thick parting sorrow
Thins my peach blossom face
When I think of the thick stitches in my jacket,
Tears fall like pearls on a broken lace.

Oh, on my cheeks you still can see
Rouge and powder;
Where my hairpins used to be,
My hair is low.
But in a great hurry,
I jump my horse,
With a whip in the boot
And feet in the hoops.
I have to put down thread and needles,
To pick up bow and arrows.
When I greet peopl
I must remember
To bow like a man.

It would be unbecoming
To drop a curtsy.
I have no fear men will court me,
But to reliev myself when they are around
Would be embarrassing.
I must think of a way
To handle this thing.

Brothers, while we are talking,
Out horses not galloping,
We have crossed mountains,
And gone through passes.
In sigh are the city wall and moat,
On which a few flags wave.
There stands an officer on the guard,
And his cap is worn and clothes are old,
But probably like you and me
He is all dignifed and bold.
With our houth,
And Heaven's blessing,
With no fear for hard ship,
And no greed for gold,
We want to reach the clouds
And soar to the skies.
We are nobler than those
Who scramble for power
And compete for fame
We are wealthier than those Whose riches
Are pilled to the sky.
Though Leopard's Skin has committed
A monstrous crime,
It may be the consequences
Of a momentary slip.

What is it up there?
So close yet so far.
There must be a great master
Sitting in his altar.
Hesitantly, I walk up the trail
That slopes and winds.
The young Tiying
Is to become an officer.
I am a little nervous now
To take my position,
But I'll be used to it
Because I have great ambition.
Leading a thousand troops,
I'll fight to sweep
The Black Mountain.
I'll win a hero's honor
To replace the rouge and powder.

SOLDIERS: Before we know it, we have arrived athe central camp where the commanding general is stationed. Let's first find a place to put up for the night and prepare to see the general tomorrow.

Act 2

[Enter the commanding general, Xin Ping]

XIN: I am Xin Ping. I am the chief commander of the punitive expedition to the East. Thanks to the Emperor, I am now leading a hundred thousand troops to fight against the rebels from the Black Mountain. We have won one victory after another, but their chieftain, Leopard's Skin is hiding in some deep valleys and will not accept a challeng. Afew days ago we were oined by three thousand new recruits. When I was testing their martial skills, I found that one man named Hua Hu excelled. Today I plan to have big rocks transported to the battleground and use them to attack the valley where Leopard's Skin hides. That chieftain will have to go into battle. When both sides get into position, I'll order Hua Hu to take the field and attack in the middle ground. He will surely capture that bandit. [To his attendants] Ask Hua Hu to from the newcomers' camp to come here. [Enter Mulan with others; all kneel to pay respects to the general.] Hua Hu, we'll go to attck the Black Mountain tomorrow. After we take up out positions, you charge out from the middle ground and capture that chieftain. If you succeed, I'll report to the Emperor to award you. If you fail to obey the order, I'll execute you.

MULAN: Yes, sir!

XIN: Let's dispatch the troops.[Sings]
The petty thief on the Black Mountain
Has a shallow mind.
Why does he want to hide?
When flowers are blooming,
Butterflies gather together.
When the tree falls,
The monkeys scatter.
The more you run from me,
The more I'll chase you after.

The petty thief has a brilliant idea;
He doesn't mind running away.
If he is a coward for one day,
He can have three meals without delay.
The more I search for him,
The more deeply he hides away.

OFFICERS AND SOLDIERS: General, we are near the enemy's camp now.

XIN: Give orders to light the cannon! [Connons boom]

[Leopard's Skin gets into the battle. Mulan charges out and captures him.]

XIN: Recall the troops and go back.

OFFICERS AND SOLDIERS [sing]:
OUr general is really smart.
He first had a plan before he attacked.
This unlucky chieftain,
He didn't see the butterflies gather
But saw the monkeys scatter.
Singing songs of victory,
We can all return in glory.

XIN [sings]:
My officers and soldiers,
I have more good news.
First, I'll raise your pay.
You don't have to be cowards,
But I'll still feed you three meals.
As for our success,
Hua Hu should take more credits,
Than anyone else.

[At the royal court in the capital, the bells are ringing, drums beating, the Emperor sitting in the throne, and others standing on both sides.]

XIN: the commanding general of the punitive expedition to the East, Xin Ping, presents himself to Your Magesty. Thanks to Your Majesty's favor, I was leading the punitive expedition against the rebels on the Black Mountain and have now wiped them out. THeir leader, Leopard's Skin, was captured by an officer named Hua Hu. We have brought the chieftain back to the capital to be tried and executed. I have listed here all the participating officers according to their contributions, hoping that Your Majesty will reward them all.

[Enter a courtier with an imerial edict]

COUTIER: By the order of the Emeror, Xin Ping, for his meritorious service in leading the punitive expedition, is granted the title of Marquis of Changshan, which is the hereditary rank with certification. Hua Hu is given the official rank of Shangshulang. As a reward for performing his years o military service, he is granted a three-month leave to go home and visit his family before he takes office. Official hat and girdle will be granted to him immediately, and he shall receive his reward together with Xin Ping. Leopard's Skin is to be executed at once. Other officers with meritorious service will be rewarded accordingly after verification.

[Mulan puts on her official hat and girle; Mulan and Xin Ping kneel to accept the imperial edict and express their gratitide to the Emperor]
[Exit the courtier]

MULAN: General, thank you very much for promoting me to this position. I appreciate it very much. As I'm eager to go home and see my parents, I won't be able to pay my respect at you place, so I'll say good-bye to you now. Allow me to render you my humble service at some other time.

XIN: Don't mention it. You did it all by yourself. You don't owe me anything. Since you are in such a hurry, I won't be able to offer you an official ceremony for you mromotion and a farewell party for your departure.

MULAN: Today, I owe my promotion to you.

XIN: I was just pushing the boat along with the current.

[Exit Xin Ping]

MULAN [sings]:
All is like an illusion;
Why boast about my success?
I killed enemies and capured ther heads,
A woman taking man's place.
I take all the credits
At no expence.

SOLDIERS: Brother Hua. Please wait for us.

MULAN: Why are you so late?

SOLDIERS: We were waiting to get our reward. Now we have become officers in charge of one hunred soldiers. We have just reported to our posts we hope you will offer us more help and guidance.

MULAN: Congratulations. We can go back home together.

SOLDIER [sing]:
This Brother Hua is so weird.
He never lets us see
Him shit or pee. [speaks]

That's the way the noblemen are. [sings]

He was born a nobleman;
We are lucky to be his company. [speaks]

We two [sing]

Petty officers
Have opened our eyes.

MULAN [sings]:
There is nothing uncommon about me,
But the one thing uncommon you must see. [speaks]

In the temple next to my home,

There is a jingang's statue
Made of clay;
He suddenly changes his looks
Into a beautiful lady.

SOLDIERS: Really?

MULAN [sings]:
If you don't believe,
Come home with me
And I'll let you see.

[Enter Mulan's parents followed by Xiaohuan]

PARENTS: We haven't heard form Mulan for a long time since she left. Mulan's filial piety has won the admirations of Wang Sixun's son, Years ago he proposed marriage to Mulan and we were very happy to give our consent. Recently, that young man has been recognixed by the Khan for his superior moral conduct and mastery of classic literature and has become an official in charge of book editing. Now he is taking more than ten yours, and both of them have far passed the marriageable age. Marriage is no joke. If we can have her back and see her get married, we'll die in peace.

[Enter Mulan and her two companions]

SOLDIERS: Master Hua, here is you move already. We'll say good-bye to you at the door.

MULAN: How can you say that? Come in and stay for a while. Have lunch with us before you go on.

MOTHER: Xiaohuan, tell the second miss and you young master that their elder sister is back.

[Enter Mulan's sister and brother][Mulan changes bak to her girl's dress before she greet her parents][Sings]

To fight the rebels
Your daughter left her parents' house;
We swept them away
Like a strong wind scattering clouds.
I captured alive
Their chieftain
And received this official hat
From the Khan.

MOTHER: What official title have you received?

MULAN: It's Shangshulang, mother. [Sings]

Tightly I bound myself,
Year in and year out.
Though I had to pass the nights with men
Under the same roof,
I'm now returning to you
A bud not a bloom.
How could I dare to disgrace
My dod and mom?

MOTHER: My daughter, how much you must have suffered!

MULAN [sings]:
Though I should not brag,
I am like true gold that fears no fire,
Or a lotus that emerges from mud
With out stainging its bud. [To her sister and brother]

When I left home,
You were both little.
Now you've grown taller
Than your elder sister.
You are both fit now to fight for our father
Sister,
Thank you very much
For looking after father and mother.
Brother,
You are the best
Of all youngster.
I did not have the time in the capital
To shop for presents.
Only a bag of powder
For my dear sister,
And two boxes of ink
For my little brother.

SOLDIERS [run over]: Master Hua, you turned out to be a girl. We have marched with you for twelve years, but never suspected that you were not a man. The story of that jingang turning into a lady is actually about youself. Isn't this a fantastic tale? Your name will be known all over the world and remembered by millions.

MULAN[sings]:
Men and women should not mix,
But having no way out,
I had to disguise,
Like a clever blossom
Hiding from butterflies.
I enlisted in the army,
To replace my father,
Just as a man rescues his sister-in-law
From the water.
How could I reveal the trouth
To men like you,
Who were like dry wood
Near a fierce fire?
Twelve years of companionship
Is like a half fated relationship.

SOLDIERS [to each other]: They are all very busy. We are here at the wrong time. Let's leave without letting them know.

[Exeunt]

XIAOHUAN: Master Wang is here to congratulate you.

MOTHER: This is the young man that I mentioned to you in my letter. I was just about to ask him to come over and marry you. Now he comes at the right time.

[Enter Mr. Wang] [Just as he is about to bow, Mulan's mother stops him]

MOTHER: Son-in-law, do not bow right now. I have looed at the almanac and found to day to be an auspicious day. You two are already old enough. Let's perform the wedding ceremony right away. Come on. [Mulan turns away in shyness] Oh, my daughter, how could an officer for twelve years be so shy?

[Mulan turns back and performs the ceremonial obeisance]

MULAN [sings]:
I was expecting a family reuvion
Not a wedding with this young man.
Meeting him for the first time,
How could I not be shy?
I've known for a long time
You are a learned scholar
Noted in court.
I'm a little embarrassed
To have hust returned from battle
And laid down my sword.
You may not find in me
A good match.
But I'll enter your world
And follow your career.
I won't be like Sun Quan sister
Laying weapons in our bridal chamber.

For only seventeen yours
I lived as a girl
But twelve yours of my life
I spent as a man.
People have looked at me
Over and again,
But who could ever tell
I was a woman?
You cannot rely n you eyes
To tell a woman from a man.

[Concluding poem]

The Black Mountain was occupied by the rebels;
Mulan fought then in her father's place.
There are many confusing things in the world;
This story recounts faolure to distinguish sexes.

No comments: